Medical expenses can accumulate after endless doctor office visits, countless emergency room visits, necessary special diets, and the ever flowing river of medicines that a chronic health condition brings to a person or family. Being frugal and earning easy extra income can ease these expenses. You can save money in any part of your home or on the go. Last week I gave over 11 tips on how to to be frugal with laundry. This week I will show you over 20 tips for the kitchen!
[bctt tweet=”20+ Kitchen tips to save #money #FibroLiving” username=”beingfibromom”]
This post contains affiliate links which means I make a small commission for purchases made, but at NO extra costs to you. Read more in my full disclosure policy.
Frugal Living Tips for the Kitchen
1. Wash dishes by hand – when you can. I know with fibromyalgia and other similar conditions this can be a painful task. Ask a loved one to help out if you can.
2. When using the dishwasher, turn off the heat dry and let the clean dishes air dry when the cleaning cycle is complete.
3. Even if the dirty dishes in the dishwasher are really dirty, avoid using the ‘heavy load’ cycle to save water and electricity.
4. Only run the dishwasher if there is a full load to save electricity and water.
5. Make homemade dishwasher detergent.
6. Prior to running the dishwasher, run the hot water in your kitchen sink to prevent the heating coils in the dishwasher from overworking to get the water hot to wash the dishes. This will save on electricity.
7. Use vinegar as a rinse aid in the dishwasher.
8. Make your own all purpose cleaner for the floor and countertops.
9. Check for leaky pipes and faucets to save on water.
10. Make your liquid soap detergent last longer (can be used to wash your hands or wash your dishes).
11. Turn off the lights in the kitchen when not in the room.
12. Make your own seasoning packets.
13. Use slow cooker for meals to save electricity and use less pots and pans for cooking your meals.
14. Make your own bread crumbs.
15. Make your own gravy.
16. Use freezer cooking to save money and time.
17. Plan your meals and use coupons in addition to sale items. (Check out the apps to make money on grocery shopping!)
18. Store your produce the right way to make them last longer.
19. Reuse yogurt cups as single fruit servings.
20. Have quick and easy meals on hand to avoid eating out or ordering in.
21. Make your own dips.
22. Buy in bulk and store in large clear containers.
23. Reuse clear containers for bagged food items to keep them fresher longer.