There are various natural ways to relieve fibromyalgia symptoms, and one of the ways I prefer to do that is with essential oils. But the subject of essential oils is large and overwhelming. Where does one begin to learn about essential oils? And how do you use essential oils for fibromyalgia symptoms? Here is my guide to using essential oils for fibromyalgia from how they are extracted to how they are used specifically for those everlasting discomfort brought on by fibromyalgia.Guide and video on using essential oils for #fibromyalgia symptoms. Click To Tweet
Disclaimer: Please consult with your physician or healthcare provider for health care and treatment. The information in this website is not a substitute for professional medical nor healthcare advice. Any advice I give is strictly personal opinion based on what I feel has worked for me.
Essential oils do not claim to cure anything, but rather they aid in a more comfortable way of living. Because of this disclaimer, I will not use any medical terms or diagnoses, but instead will guide you how to ease several different discomforts associated with fibromyalgia.
Some links are affiliate links which means I will earn a commission should a purchase be made through the link, but at NO extra costs to you. For more details, please read my disclosure policy.
What are essential oils?
Essential oils come from the compounds found in all parts of a plant – seeds, bark, stems, roots, flowers, and other parts. They are harvested by experts and distilled to extract the oils by using precise pressures and temperatures. These precise measurements protect the plants and oils from being oxidized or destroyed by heat. read more details
How to Use Essential Oils
There are three ways to essential oils. Some essential oils can be used all three ways while others cannot. Look for uses or warnings on the labeling of all essential oils. When in doubt, contact the company’s website.
Note: Never apply oils directly to the eyes or ear canals. Avoid exposing area of application to sunlight for 12 hours after using citrus oils topically. Always refer to the company’s website for other precautions of essential oils.
Note: Use caution when using oils on infants or children. These doses should be drastically cut back. Refer to the company’s website for children and infant’s dosage amounts.
- Aromatic: Essential oils can be used through aromatherapy. Techniques for this method is direct inhalation (breathing in the aroma through the nose), diffusing (evaporating essential oils into the air through the use of a diffuser), and spray bottle (mixing oils with water or alcohol and sprayed into the air). Avoid the direct inhalation technique with infants and children.
- Topical: Essential oils are fat-soluble and can be applied directly to the skin because their compounds can be readily absorbed and enter the bloodstream (this is another reason why the quality of oils is important). Applying topical can be through the feet, massaging, bath, or moist cloth compress.
- Internal: Some essential oils can be ingested because they are fat-soluble and readily delivered to the organs of the body. Various techniques of internally ingesting are under the tongue, in a gelatin cap, vegetable capsule, in a tea, in food, or in water. Other techniques can be vaginal insertion, rectal insertion, or suppositories. Caution: Some oils are not safe to ingest such as cypress or pine. Check the labeling on the bottle or the company’s website.
Caution: Some essential oils require a carrier oil when applied to the skin for dilution in order to avoid evaporation or irritation of the skin. Check the labeling on the bottle for information or the company’s website.
Terms to know
Some essential oils require a carrier oil when applied to the skin for dilution in order to avoid evaporation or irritation of the skin.
- Feather-light emollient provides a soothing barrier without clogging pores.
- Ideal for combining with essential oils before applying topically to the skin.
- Completely soluble with all essential oils; odorless, colorless, and non-staining.
Other carrier oils include:
*These oils contain nuts and should not be used if you have a nut allergy.
What I use regularly for fibromyalgia symptoms
Further down on this page, the symptoms I experience and the oils I use to relieve those symptoms are listed. But first, I’d like to let you know about a few items I use regularly to prevent a flare of symptoms.
This is what I use when my body’s aching all over either when I know a flare is coming (capsule form) or when I need relief fast (lotion). There are various forms of deep blue, but I use the Deep Blue Rub and the Deep Blue Polyphenol Complex on a regular basis.
Deep Blue Rub: a lotion
When I use Deep Blue Rub, I rub a pea sized amount on the affected area and within fifteen minutes or so, I can feel a difference in relief. The smell is amazing, too, and will clear any clogged airways.
- A rich, topical cream infused with the Deep Blue Soothing Blend of CPTG® essential oils.
- Formulated with a proprietary blend of natural plant extracts and other powerful ingredients, Deep Blue Rub provides a comforting sensation of cooling and warmth to problem areas.
- Deep Blue Rub is blended in a base of moisturizing emollients that leave your skin soft and non-greasy.
- Synergistic blend of CPTG essential oils that combine to create a cool, tingling sensation on the skin.
Deep Blue Polyphenol Complex: a capsule to swallow
I take it when I know there will be a lot of walking or the weather starts to change and my body will react to it to become more stiff, achy, and painful. It’s cumulative, so I take twice a day in the days before and after I know an activity or participation in an event will negatively affect my body. You can take it twice a day, every day, but I do not.
- It contains powerful polyphenols to aid occasional aches and pains and support joint comfort and function.*
- Take Deep Blue Polyphenol Complex as needed when discomfort presents itself, or take it every day for long-lasting benefits.*
- Deep Blue Polyphenol Complex includes the tummy tamer blend—a proprietary blend of ginger root extract, peppermint leaf extract, and caraway seed extract—to support healthy digestion.*
- Pomegranate is rich in polyphenols, which are powerful antioxidants. It may also help healthy joint function.*
- Contains ginger. Ginger is soothing on the joints and the gastrointestinal tract.
- Curcumin helps to soothe overworked muscles and joints and supports overall health of the joints and connective tissues.*
- Frankincense promotes healthy joint mobility and function, and can provide soothing support throughout the entire body.*
- Polyphenols are natural, powerful antioxidants and may benefit the immune, cardiovascular, endocrinal, skeletal and nervous system health.*
Lifelong Vitality Pack
One of my healthy living groups recommended this doTerra product to help ease a lot of my daily discomforts. It’s more on the expensive end, but I was willing to give it a try to see if it would really ease my discomforts. I’ve been using the pack for several months, and overall – yes, it does ease my daily discomforts. So much so that my reliance on the other essential oils are not as great. The bonus to ordering the pack is that I can get the Deep Blue Complex (capsules) for a fraction of the cost.
Not available for retail purchase. Only available on Loyalty Rewards Program orders. Contact me for more information.
The doTerra lifelong vitality pack is a collection of dietary supplements including Alpha CRS+, Microplex MVp, and xEO Mega. Not one is more important than the other and they can be purchased separately, but they work together to boost the body overall which is preferred.
Alpha CRS+: Cellular vitality complex
Provides antioxidant protection to cellular DNA and other critical cell structures. Look for it to:
- Promote mitochondrial energy production
- Support a healthy response to oxidative stress
xEO Mega: Essential Oil Omega Complex
- Supports cardiovascular, immune, joint, and brain health
- Vitamin E for antioxidant protection, plus Vitamin D
- Contains clove, frankincense, thyme, cumin, wild orange, peppermint, ginger, caraway, and german chamomile essential oils
Microplex MVp: Food Nutrient Complex
- Naturally balanced, comprehensive array of vitamins and minerals to give you just what you need
- Potent, antioxidant polyphenol extract blend
- Features doTERRA’s tummy tamer blend of peppermint, ginger, caraway seed to help calm the stomach
Which essential oils are best for fibromyalgia symptoms?
I will talk about various daily symptoms that I experience that you, more than likely, also experience, and I will tell you how I ease those discomforts with various products. There are numerous oils to use for different discomforts, but I will only list the ones I have used and how those oils help with that specific symptom.
Muscle aches, pain, spasm
Ginger: Taken internally, may help to support healthy joint function and delivers antioxidant protection.*
Lemongrass: Topically, used with carrier oil such as fractionated coconut oil, massage on the affected area.*
Lemongrass: Topically, used with carrier oil, massage on the affected area.
Wintergreen: Massage into hands, back, and legs for a soothing and warming sensation after exercise.
I have not used this oil, but InTune is recommended for poor concentration. Quick funny story: After my live essential oils video was over, a friend that was watching the video and decided to call me via video chat. We were talking about oils then she asked about InFocus (she was referring to InTune), but I knew what she meant and actually thought that was the name. Throughout that conversation and then on, we have referred to this oil as InFocus.
Update: After my video about essential oils aired, several viewers contacted me to confirm that InTune is a preferred blend for poor concentration.
- Enhances and sustains a sense of focus.
- Supports efforts of those who have difficulty paying attention and staying on task.
- Apply to the temples and back of neck when needing to tune in to tasks that require concentration.
- Apply to wrists or back of hands and inhale deeply to promote a sense of clarity.
- Use at work to stay on task or when feeling tired mid-afternoon.
Seems like this would be good to diffuse in the area of the home where you spend the most time.
- May help to support healthy digestion*
- May help to reduce bloating, gas, and occasional indigestion*
- May help reduce occasional nausea*
DigestZen is an oil blend that has ginger, fennel, coriander, peppermint, tarragon, anise, and caraway. I have a roller bottle that is filled with 10 drops of DigestZen and the rest is filled with fractionated coconut oil. I have one bottle for my purse and another in the house for my family and me to use.
- When traveling or trying new foods take DigestZen to soothe occasional stomach discomfort.*
- Add to water or tea to maintain a healthy gastrointestinal tract.*
- Eases feelings of queasiness.*
- Use with fractionated coconut oil for a soothing abdominal massage.
- Helps reduce bloating, gas, and occasional indigestion.*
- I love using this one after I have eaten way too much because it helps settle the storm after meals that are just too good to stop eating.
- Helps reduce bloating, gas, and occasional indigestion.*
- This one is very soothing and feels cool when you put it on your stomach to help calm the storm in case your DigestZen ran out. I like it because you can feel it sink into your skin and start helping you feel better.
Low on energy
- Rub on temples after you wake up for a morning energy boost.
- Diffuse when feeling fatigued or low on energy.
- Take one to two beadlets to help alleviate occasional stomach upset.*
- Helps reduce bloating, gas, and occasional indigestion.*
- I love putting this one right under my nose and above my lip so I can continually smell it and get the energy I need to keep going throughout my day. Some people may have a sensitivity to the peppermint, so using it with a carrier oil will help with that.
Other essential oils for fibromyalgia symptoms
It’s a small roller bottle blend of the Cheer oil and fractionated coconut oil. It has a fresh, spicy, and warm aroma.
- Promotes feelings of optimism, cheerfulness, and happiness.
- Counteracts negative emotions of feeling down, blue, or low.
- I need emotional boosts every so often because life is stressful. Living with fibromyalgia is very taxing on top of the everyday stressors. I love cheer because when I am feeling upset with my performance or am just having a bad day in general, I roll some of this on my neck at the base of my skull and I can feel my stress releasing and my mood improving almost immediately.
I’ve used this once under the tongue. It tastes horrible, but it made a difference in my all over body discomfort.
- Frankincense promotes healthy joint function.*
- I have found that using frankincense is worth the horrible taste everyday because it has improved my body as a whole. I am not as achy and I feel that I have more strength and energy to get through each day.
This one can be diffused and used in cleaning products. Applied directly to an itchy bite can provide relief, too.
- Lavender is widely used for its calming and relaxing qualities.
- This essential oil helps to ease feelings of tension.*
- Lavender promotes feelings of vitality.
- It can reduce anxious feelings, even when the ability to smell aromas has been lost.
- I use this one similarly to how I use Cheer. It helps lift some of the stress and anxiousness I feel everyday but it also brings a calmness to my life. This one can be especially helpful if you have a hard time falling asleep. Diffuse this while completing your nightly routine to calm your mind and prep for bed.
Lemon is good for various reasons, but my primary use is a drop in my water to drink. I also use it in my homemade cleaning products because it cleanses surfaces.
- Lemon cleanses and purifies the air and surfaces.
- It naturally cleanses the body and aids in digestion.*
Like the lemon, I place a drop of Wild Orange in my water. I interchange with Lemon to give me different flavors. When I’m constipated or my stomach just isn’t digesting properly, I use wild orange in my water. This eases my stomach issues and will ease my constipation. My oldest son places a drop in his water each morning. He likes the taste, and it’s good for him, too. This is also used in my homemade cleaning product.
- Contains powerful antioxidants.*
- Add a drop to your water for a burst of flavor and to promote overall health.*
- During colder temperatures, take one to two drops of Wild Orange in a capsule to support a healthy immune system.*
- During clean up, use Wild Orange to cleanse and purify counter tops, tables and other surfaces.
- To improve your home’s scent and to purify the air, place a few drops on your air filter.
- Powerful cleanser and purifying agent.
Essential oils I diffuse throughout my home
While diffusing Balance in my bedroom, my husband and I get an overall sense of calm and relaxation. It smells good, too, which is perfect for someone sensitive to smells (like me).My favorite way to use this is while I am driving. I can feel very anxious while driving and diffusing balance helps to ease some of that and bring my stress level down to being manageable.
- Promotes a whole-body sense of relaxation.
- Evokes feelings of tranquility and balance.
- Use before bed for a restful night’s sleep.
- Use before bed while thinking positive thoughts to promote peaceful dreams.
- Use while meditating or practicing yoga.
- Apply doTERRA Balance to your wrists or neck to help ease anxious feelings.
Wild Orange and On Guard
These two oils work well together when diffusing in my office and living room. This combination of oils being diffused helps me in a couple different ways. It allows me to stay alert and motivated to continue with the task I am on as well as keeping my air clean and boosting my immunity. Bonus: it has an amazing light, citrus crisp to the air!
- Diffuse for an energizing and revitalizing aroma.
- Powerful cleanser and purifying agent.
- With its unique aroma, doTERRA On Guard offers a fragrant, natural, way to clean.
- doTERRA On Guard is an effective alternative to synthetic options for immune support.*
- Diffuse for cleansing the air.
- Diffuse for an uplifting scent.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
New Essential Oils
Each month I’m discovering new oils to use and adding them to my list of must-haves. If you’d like to talk more about oils, please contact me and I’d love to help you.